Monday, August 1, 2011

More about Cameron's birth story!

Okay some details I left out because I was writing a post so quickly.  He was due August 1st but I told myself the 5th so I wouldn't get too antsy (best advice to pregnant mother: give yourself a due month DO NOT get caught up in a due DATE, the baby coming on your due date is so rare.)  Or at least I got antsy with Cora and those last few weeks were really tough just waiting!  My parents still lived in Westford at this point but they were getting their floors refinished so she was staying with us for a few nights.  This was nice because I was so tired it was nice to have help with Cora.  Luckily, for us, she was there the night I went into labor.  Oddly enough I had a feeling that I was having the baby that weekend.  I am pretty sure it was a Friday because that Saturday my parents were planning on going to a college reunion and I remember thinking I think you might be watching Cora because I am pretty sure this baby is coming!  

Andy had gone to bed and that is when I started contracting enough to know what was going on.  I contracted while talking to someone on facebook chat, I don't remember who this was, was it you?  
My mom was laughing at me because there I am at the computer in the room she was staying in breathing, hanging out and chatting online.  So anyways, several contractions and an hour later I woke up Andy who was not so happy about the fact that he was not going to be going back to sleep. haha



Okay so now you can read the other post to get the middle of the story here








Now for some post partum happenings:
The funny thing about this was they did not whisk him away after birth which was great because a newborn's first moments should really be on the breast of their mother (unless medical intervention is really necessary).  I stepped out of the tub with Cameron on my chest and the placenta still inside of me which was weird because the umbilical tube was still connecting the baby.  I delivered the placenta and the midwife waited for it to stop pulsing blood and Andy cut it.  We didn't do anything with the placenta so she examined it to make sure it was all there and then discarded it.  What was funny about it is both Andy and I were kind of like hey isn't the midwife going to hold the baby now? haha  It was so nice at the birth center, they let you be and it was so homey with the comfort of the midwives.  
And now for some gross details: 
I did tear, but not as bad as the first and the midwife gave me a local shot of pain numbing medicine and she stitched me up - it was weird because I could feel it but it didn't hurt.  
The other gross detail was I passed a fairly large clot when I went to the bathroom a couple of hours after the delivery.  I knew that wasn't exactly right, called to Andy and Andy got the midwife.  My blood wasn't clotting so they had to give me some drugs to clot my blood so I wouldn't bleed too much.  That wasn't fun.  But it was fine and really it was a small obstacle considering what could happen.
Since he was born in the middle of the night, we tried to sleep from 2:30 / 3:00 until morning.  I had such an adrenaline rush after all I just had a baby so I didn't get right to sleep but I did snooze with the baby in between us.  Andy slept fine and before we knew it it was morning.  
I called my friend Leanne to come take newborn pictures and pictures of our new family of four.  I actually think she got there before my mom did with Cora.  My mom came with Cora and made us an AMAZING breakfast.  It was an omelet with zucchini, cherry tomatoes and cheese.  It was so good.  Maybe because I had just given birth but really it was good.  Cora was only 19 months when Cameron was born and neither of my kids are very verbal so she did not say much but she did hug him and kiss him.  My father came later in the day as he was in Westford.
We chose to stay in the hospital for two nights as the birth center offers that option for new families.  But luckily for us the room wasn't ready until late afternoon so we instead were in the beautiful birth center with barely any interruptions!  I had heard that Bridget from church had her baby the day before mine and that Tara (who is mentioned here) was in labor too. 





Bridget is on the left, Tara is next to her and Cerissa is next to me.  Cerissa had her baby about a month after ours.  It actually kind of felt like a party.  Bridge came to see me before she left and my friend Jocelyn came and we went to see Tara.  I felt worlds better than right after I had Cora.  
Such a blessing to have children and to be surrounded by friends who love the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment